Subject: Re: Re[2]: DraCO's RISC chip for Amiga
From: [email-masked] (Mark Thompson)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 95 13:45:13 EST

[email-masked] wites:
> There are no definate prices yet. DraCO could be about �3000 and the RISC
> DEC ALPHA card from $2-3000. The DSP card from Phase 5 is due out much
> later this year for about $2500.
> The question is, will NewTek be willing to change the LW code to run with
> the promised RISC/DSP hardware for the Amiga?

I don't speak for NewTek, but I'd be willing to bet that the answer is
"absolutely not". It doesn't make any financial sense to do so. LightWave
will be moved to those platforms that have the numbers to justify the
cost and effort of a port, and more importantly, support. And with
comparable Alpha systems costing perhaps a little less, whats the point.
My guess is, your looking at a repeat of that dismal Transputer based
Warp System and its so-called LightEngine.
     *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     *           Mark Thompson               (603) 424-1829       *
     *         Fusion Films Inc.           [email-masked]     *
     *     Radiant Image Productions                              *
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~